Companies are heavily investing into self-driving technology and the future of the connected car.
Fewer road accidents, Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS), traffic reduction and improved logistics and haulage services make this an unstoppable trend.
This revolution comes with high expectations for user experience. More people than ever have adopted virtual assistants on their phones or at home and they want cars to understand them in the same way.
This is an exciting time for auto manufacturers to differentiate. Automakers the right technology and training data partner can allow a consumer to not just drive a car, but be part of an integrated experience, seamlessly moving from A to B.
Machine learning brings to market a variety of use cases including:
Self-driving cars are extremely complex machines powered by complex machine learning algorithms. As the car moves forward, it processes a lot of types of data —just like a driver does when looking out the windshield or monitoring the surroundings, both in and out of the car. Vehicles need to assign meaning to large volumes of image data, such as identifying a tree or pedestrian, listening for commands, outside changes to the environment, and then feed that back into the car’s AI to inform decisions, and improve its algorithms. We can empower your team to reach up to Level 5 autonomy, driving you ahead of the competition.
Voice and speech recognition
Traditional dashboards—and more recently, mobile devices—take a driver’s hands and eyes off the road. Speech interfaces don’t, if they work correctly and understand drivers and their intent. Connected cars that are trained on large-scale speech data collections can provide customers around the world with the best in-car infotainment experience. Our crowd of over 1 million people from around the world can help train your team’s AI to understand over 180 languages, dialects and styles in difficult in-car conditions.
Understanding and predicting behavior
Advances in voice recognition, LiDAR, and cameras that can help track driver emotions are an important next step in Human Machine Interface, giving cars the ability to identify speakers’ emotions as well as their words—so they can tell when users are happy or frustrated, and respond accordingly. With over 15 years of experience in the automotive industry, and 25 years of language, personalization and classification expertise, our data collection specialists and the global crowd can power machine learning that works for every customer.
“In the next ten years, the auto industry will undergo a profound transformation: the cars it builds, the companies that build them and the consumers who buy them will all look significantly different.” – Goldman Sachs
How we help
We bring over 20 customers in and hundreds of Automotive AI projects in the 15 years in the automotive industry. We understand what it takes to work with leading Tier 1 suppliers and 7 of the top 10 global OEMs. Access our full suite of multimodal computer vision annotation tools as well as, in-cabin vehicle collection and, NLP annotation services to help with your autonomous vehicle projects.
Our experienced team based in the heart of Motor City, Detroit lends their expertise and resources on the ground to accelerate your product development and testing workflows.
Single Data Collection and Annotation Pipeline for Autonomous Vehicles
Companies used to have to lean on multiple vendors and applications to collect, prepare and converge all data in order to effectively train their AI models. Until now. Automotive teams can leverage our full suite of multimodal computer vision annotation tools as well as, in-cabin vehicle collection and, NLP annotation services and combine them in an automated process with Workflows.
- Multimedia Collection Our teams can support your data collection needs with the help of the global crowd through surveys, transcribed voice recordings and crowd camera footage.
- Conversational Assistance Our comprehensive solutions for training conversational AI include speech collection, speech annotation, transcription for the creation of ASR models, lexicon building and more.
- Point Cloud Labeling (LiDAR, Radar) Merge point cloud data and video streams into one scene to be annotated. Our labels point cloud data to help your model understand the world around the vehicle.
- 2D Labeling including Semantic Segmentation Help your model get a fine-tuned understanding of the input from its visual light cameras by using our image annotation toolkit. Get scalable bounding boxes or highly-detailed pixels masks created for your custom ontology.
- Video Object and Event Tracking Track objects in your ontology (like other cars and pedestrians) as they enter and exit the area of interest over many frames of videos and lidar scenes. Maintain a consistent understanding of the object’s identity through the entire video, no matter how often they drop in and out of sight.
Bring it all together with Workflows
Using the Appen Data Annotation platform, your team taps into a simple user interface to build and automate multi-step data collection and annotation projects:
- Break complex projects down into simple jobs, then automatically route data between the jobs using configurable routing rules
- String multiple jobs or models together in a branching or linear configuration
- Leverage machine learning in workflows to offset costs and expedite project completion
We help you enhance the following solutions
- Automatic Speech Recognition
Improve customer interactions with Automatic Speech Recognition systems by training them to better understand human language.
- Computer Vision
Develop computer vision solutions that recognize images and video as well as humans do with high quality, human annotated data.
- In-car Infotainment
Ensure your in-car infotainment system provides the best user experience with high quality training data and testing.
- In-car Navigation
Train your in-car navigation system with high quality data to ensure customers get where they need to go.
Improve customer interactions with TTS systems that are fluent in every language.
- Virtual Assistants and Chatbots
Train your virtual assistant or chatbot to better understand and respond to human interaction, driving higher levels of customer satisfaction.
AI Training Data for Smart Cars that Work for Everyone
When Building World-Class AI for Autonomous Vehicles, a Partner Like Appen Gets Your Team There Faster, With Data You Can Rely On There is an enormous business opportunity with the rise of autonomous vehicles and the connected car. Already, we have seen significant investment in self-driving technology and, with everyone racing to reap benefits including fewer road accidents, Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS), …
How a Tier 1 Automotive Software Provider Creates Smarter, More Natural In-Car Infotainment Systems
For an in-car infotainment system — or any ASR system — to recognize and correctly process voice commands, it must be trained on speech data that accounts for a broad range of inputs and all possible variation in how people speak.
How a Top Automotive OEM Localizes Its In-Car Experience with Appen
The Situation With the proliferation of mobile devices, consumers expect to stay connected, no matter where they are — especially in their car. Voice recognition in cars, however, continues to be the leading complaint among new vehicle owners. Global automotive manufacturers recognize the demand for better connectivity but face added complexities associated with localizing in-car systems for multiple languages. Data …