- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) – a check on criminal convictions for people in certain professions.
- Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) – a basic pre-employment check aimed primarily at civil servants, the armed forces and government contractors.
- Security Check (SC) – the most widely held level of vetting, including checks on employment and financial history, spent and unspent criminal convictions and sometimes an interview.
- Counter-Terrorism Check (CTC) – an enhanced level of vetting for people working with data of value to terrorists or with access to public figures at risk from terrorism.
- Official Secrets Act (OSA) – usually incorporated into a contract of employment, this offers legal protection against espionage or the unauthorised disclosure of information.