This year, Appen is celebrating its 25th Anniversary in helping people access reliable training data to deploy their projects with confidence. As we look to the future, we’re also reflecting on the past. Looking back on where we’ve come from is how we can see our growth and can get a clear picture of how many people and companies we’ve helped and supported along the way.
Celebrating 25 Years of Appen and What We’ve Accomplished
Today, Appen works with over 1 million skilled contractors who speak over 235 languages and are located in over 170 countries. This kind of global workforce allows us to provide the high-quality product that our customers have come to expect from Appen.
Not only is our workforce global, so are our customers. We work more than 320 customers around the world, helping them to successfully launch thousands of AI projects. Our 1 million skilled contractors helped create our world-class training data by making 1 billion relevance judgements and 3 million image and video annotations last year.
We’re so proud to work with each and every one of our skilled contractors. This year, we even started a series featuring our contractors and highlighting why they choose to work with Appen.
Our promise to our customers is that we can help them scale their business with security and speed while maintaining quality. With our machine learning assisted products, we’ve been able to do just that.
- Our automated ASR and audio segmentation products provide a 20 percent efficiency gain, allowing home assistants to be 93 percent accurate without human intervention.
- With our computer vision technology, our customers are able to provide a better shopping experience to their customers.
- Our object detection for 2D video has improved 22 percent in quality and 29 percent in efficiency. This creates safer homes and neighborhoods with smarter video cameras.
- We’ve also developed a worker fraud detection model that is 7 times more effective than manual detection. This results in fewer bots and more real people working on data.
- Through our task allocation model, we’ve been able to increase crowd conversion by 50 percent. This allows our customers to more quickly deploy machine learning projects with the right data.
- We’ve also been able to increase our data annotation speed while maintaining quality leading to exponential efficiencies for our customers.
Each year we strive to improve our products, increase efficiency, and maintain quality for our customers. Looking back, it’s easy to see how we’ve grown, changed, and improved over the last 25 years.
As We Look to the Future
We are excited for what the future holds as we expand to partner with our customers in their AI lifecycle with products and services that enable them to build world-class solutions. The process of data sourcing, data annotation, model training and model testing is a continuous cycle that we can support our customers through.
Our recent acquisition of Quadrant, a leader in location data, allows us to provide accurate and up to date POI data that is used to support map databases and logistic applications. These new dataset types offer us the ability to support new customers and use cases. The future of the AI industry continues to flourish, and we are thrilled to grow with it.
We Couldn’t Have Done It Without You
If there’s one thing we’ve learned while looking back over the past 25 years it’s that we could never have done it alone. Along the way we’ve had support from our founders, employees, contributors, and customers. At one point or another, each and every one of you believed in our vision of providing high quality data to those who need it.
Thank you for standing by us as we worked to achieve our vision and to make AI work in the real world. Truly, we wouldn’t be here without you.